There are about five basic recipes that ever good cook should know, and one of them is the perfect roast chicken. When done right, it should be well seasoned, crispy on the outside, juicy on the inside, and have a gorgeous brown color. Roasted chicken is arguably the healthiest way to cook chicken because you are not introducing unhealthy fats. Roasting is also one of the easiest ways to cook chicken. Below is my favorite roast chicken recipe. It’s my 7 Spice Roast Chicken. Enjoy!
How Long to Cook a Whole Chicken
The size of your chicken will determine the length of time you will need to roast it. Here is a guideline by weight (After cooking time, turn the oven off and let the chicken remain in the oven for an additional 10 minutes):
Chicken is done when juices between the leg and thigh run clear!
2-1/2 to 3 pounds: Roast at 375 degrees F for 1 to 1-1/4 hours
3 to 3-1/2 pounds: Roast at 375 degrees F for 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 hours
3-1/2 to 4 pounds: Roast at 375 degrees F for 1-1/4 to 1-3/4 hours
4-1/2 to 5 pounds: Roast at 375 degrees F for 1-1/2 to 1-3/4 hours
7 Spice Roast Chicken
1 whole chicken 4-5 pounds, thoroughly washed and pat dry
1 tablespoon oil
Spice Rub: (½ for chicken and ½ for potatoes)
2 ½ teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoon black pepper
2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoons chipotle pepper powder (you can substitute cayenne pepper)
2 lbs. red potatoes, wash and cut into bite sized cubes
1 tablespoon olive oil
½ the above spice mixture
1 large onion (½ cut in slices and ½ cut in half)
½ fresh lemon
4 sprigs of fresh rosemary, leaves removed and chopped (discard stems)
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Wash and pat dry the chicken with a paper towel. Allow it to sit at room temperature for at least 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, chipotle pepper, thyme, garlic powder, cumin, salt, and pepper and mix well.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and massage it into the chicken. Sprinkle with the spice mixture, inside and outside, and massage until chicken is fully coated.
- Stuff the chicken with lemon and sliced onions. Tuck the wings back and tie both legs with cooking twine.
- Place the potatoes in your baking dish and season with some of the 7 spice mixture that you seasoned the chicken with. Chop the leaves from 4 stems of fresh rosemary and sprinkle that over the chicken. Drizzle olive oil over the potatoes and mix well.
- Place the chicken on top of the potatoes, breast side up.
- Place the chicken on the center rack of the oven and bake for 1-½ hours (if using a 5 lb. chicken). After 1-½ hours, turn the oven off and let the chicken remain in the oven for an additional 10 – 15 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, place foil over it and let the chicken rest for at least 15 to 20 minutes to let the juices redistribute throughout the chicken.