Sweet heat…yummy. I love a dish that’s a little bit sweet with a little bit of heat (ok, a lot of heat). It’s a marriage made in food heaven. When you add this flavor combination to chicken wings, well, I’m pulling my chair up to the table my friend.
Now, my whole family is crazy about wings and if you’ve been following Delightful and Delicious for a while, you know that we are always on the hunt for the perfect flavor or sauce to toss my wings in. One of my favorite ways to flavor these bad boys is with honey and sriracha – honey for the sweet and sriracha for the heat!
If you’ve never had sriracha sauce before…well, that’s just wrong. You are missing out on one of the best condiments known to mankind. Sriracha sauce is a type of chili hot sauce. It is made from chili peppers, distilled vinegar, garlic, sugar, and salt. It’s thicker than your typical hot sauce and the garlic and sugar are the main ingredients that set this sauce apart.
Now when it comes to the preparation of wings, I like them crispy, but not crunchy. My preferred method for preparing them is baking them in the oven. To accomplish the “crispiness” even though they’re baked, I add a bit of cornstarch to the spice mixture. This allows me to have a healthier version of wings yet still have the texture that I love so much.
Just a side note…this honey sriracha sauce is equally delicious on any other part of the chicken as well as salmon!
I hope you enjoy these Honey Sriracha Wings just as much as we do!
Honey Sriracha Wings
- 4 lbs. Chicken wings, halved at the joint, wing tips discarded (save for stock)
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 ½ tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp ground ginger powder
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
For the Sauce:
- 4 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 3 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- ⅔ cup sriracha
- ⅓ Tbsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp fresh lime juice
- Green onions, chopped
- Sesame seeds (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF. Line a baking sheet with foil, then top it with wire cooling racks to hold the chicken up off the baking sheet. For easy cleaning, spritz the wire racks with non-stick spray.
- Place the chicken wings in a large bowl.
- Mix the salt, black pepper, cumin, smoked paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ground ginger powder, and cornstarch. Sprinkle the spice mixture over top of the chicken wings. Mix the spices over the wings until the wings are evenly coated.
- Place the coated chicken wings on the prepared baking sheet. Bake the wings for 20 minutes. Turn the wings over and cook for an additional 30 minutes until the surface is golden brown and crispy and they have reached an internal temperature of 165F.
- While the chicken is in the oven, melt the butter over medium heat in a sauce pot. Add the minced garlic and cook for one minute until fragrant. Add the sriracha, honey, sesame oil, and lime juice. Stir well. Heat over a medium flame for two minutes for the flavors to combine. Cut the heat off, whisk the sauce until smooth, and set the sauce aside.
- When the chicken comes out of the oven, toss the wings in the sauce to fully coat the chicken, sprinkle with chopped green onion and sesame seeds, then serve.