I love creamed corn. It’s one of those dishes that you can find in fancy restaurants and on everyday kitchen tables all across the Country. The simple seasonings let the flavor of the sweet corn really shine through. And trust me, after you try this recipe, you won’t ever want canned corn again.
I find that using fresh corn on the cob is my favorite, but corn is a summer crop and may not be available if you want to cook it in the colder months. The next best thing to fresh corn is frozen. If you use frozen corn in this recipe, you don’t even have to thaw it first. Just add it in and the heat from the pan will do all the work for you.
This recipe is super easy to do. It’s a really popular dish for Thanksgiving, but it’s so quick, you can do this any night of the week. You can have it done in less then 20 minutes from start to finish!
I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. Cheers!
Super Easy Creamed Corn
4 slices of bacon
2 lbs. Corn kernels, fresh or frozen
½ cup yellow onion, diced
½ cup scallions, sliced and whites separated from the greens
¾ cup half & half
2 tsp granulated sugar
3 oz. cream cheese, softened
4 Tbsp cold, unsalted butter, cut into 3 or four slices
4 oz. sharp white cheddar cheese
1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced
- Heat pan over medium heat and cook bacon until cooked through and crisp. Remove from pan and chop into bite sized pieces.
- Add onions, white parts of scallions, and ¾ of the jalapenos (save some for garnish). Saute for 2 minutes until veggies start to soften.
- Add corn and cook for 4 minutes. Corn will begin to soften and become tender.
- Turn heat down to medium-low and add in the half & half. Cook for an additional 2 minutes then add the sugar and stir to make sure the sugar dissolves.
- Add in cream cheese. Stir to combine. Mixture will thicken a bit.
- Add butter and stir until butter has melted and emulsified.
- Add cheese and stir to combine.
- Stir in ¾ of the chopped bacon.
- Top everything with the remaining bacon, the remaining jalapenos and the reserved green parts of the scallions. Then serve.