Sweet potato pie…oh how I love thee. Y’all I’m not a huge dessert person, but I have been a fan of sweet potato pie since I was a kid! It’s a tradition in the south to have this sweet, creamy treat during the holiday season, whether it’s Thanksgiving, Christmas or both. As a matter of fact, most folks find it hospitable to bake a few pies at a time and give them to friends and neighbors as gifts. I hope you enjoy this recipe and it becomes apart of your holiday traditions too!
Watch me make this sweet potato pie here!
Sweet Potato Pie
- You can substitute canned sweet potatoes in a pinch
- Sweet potato pie can be prepared up to two days in advance
- Roast your potatoes the night before to save time
- 3 small or two medium roasted, peeled and mashed sweet potatoes (about 1-1/2 cups)
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Pinch of salt (about an ⅛ teaspoon)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell, homemade or store-bought
Sweet Potato Preparation:
Preheat oven to 425º. On a baking sheet covered with foil, bake sweet potatoes for 55 minutes to 1 hour or until a knife or fork inserted into the thickest part goes in easily.
Let cool until you can handle them easily by hand. Peel the skin from the roasted sweet potatoes, put them in a large mixing bowl, and mash into chunks with a fork.
Pie Filling Preparation:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
In a separate bowl, mix the sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt together. Pour the sugar mixture into the bowl with the sweet potatoes. Mix well.
Add pure vanilla extract and butter. Beat with an electric mixer until butter is thoroughly incorporated.
Taste the filling for seasoning. This is a great time to add more sugar or spices if you’d like!
Add two eggs to the sweet potatoes and beat with the electric mixture until blended and smooth. Pour the mixture into an unbaked pie shell and smooth out with the back of a spoon or spatula.
Bake until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 1 hour. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.