Baked salmon with asparagus and potatoes is a one-pan meal that’s a healthy and satisfying weeknight dinner or perfect for meal prep. A lovely yet simple garlic-lemon-butter sauce tops this deliciously tender salmon making is super flavorful.
How long to cook salmon fillets
Salmon only needs 10 – 12 minutes cooking time in a hot, preheated oven (400°F or 200°C) and for a fish that is about 1 inch thick. Your time will depend upon your desired level of doneness. I like my fish cooked to about 12 minutes. That give me a piece of salmon that’s just under medium well and tender and flaky.
Click here to watch me make this from start to finish!
Salmon is fabulous with a chilled glass of Pinot Grigio or a nice sauvignon blanc.
Lemon Garlic Butter Baked Salmon with Asparagus and Potatoes
1 lb baby Yukon or small red potatoes, cut in half
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp Kosher salt
½ tsp cracked black pepper
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp smoked paprika
2 (6 oz) salmon fillets
¾ tsp salt
¾ tsp cracked black pepper
4 Tbsp unsalted butter
4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 cloves garlic (2 Tbsp), minced
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 bunch asparagus, woody ends removed
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 lemon, sliced to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400˚F.
- Cover sheet pan with aluminum foil.
- Add the potatoes to the prepared sheet pan and toss with olive oil.
- Mix onion powder, garlic powder, 1 tsp Kosher salt, ½ tsp black pepper, 1 tsp dried thyme, and paprika.
- Sprinkle ½ of the spice mixture over the potatoes. Toss to make sure the potatoes are coated. Reserve the other ½ of the spice mixture.
- Spread potatoes out in an even layer and bake for 15 minutes until they are just starting to soften and turn brown.
- While potatoes are roasting, make the sauce. Melt butter and stir in minced garlic, lemon juice and 2 tsp dried thyme. Mix well.
- Drizzle your asparagus with 1 Tbsp olive oil and sprinkle with the remaining ½ of the spice mixture.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and push them to the top of your pan. Place your asparagus on the sides and bottom of the pan. Try to arrange in a single layer.
- Mix ¾ tsp Kosher salt and ¾ tsp black pepper and season the salmon on top and sides.
- Place your salmon fillets in the middle of the pan.
- Spoon ½ of the lemon garlic butter sauce over the salmon.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes depending on your desired level of doneness. (The salmon should flake easily with a fork when it’s ready.)
- When salmon is done, drizzle with remaining lemon garlic butter sauce.
- Garnish with lemon wedges and parsley (optional).