Whether you call them croquettes, patties, or burgers, seasoned fresh Salmon with veggies, formed in to lovely circles and cooked in a pan into yummy goodness are just plain old fabulous. These can be customized in so many different ways and you can eat them for breakfast, lunch or dinner. I love them with grits in the morning and salad in the afternoon.
I use fresh salmon in my recipe, but if you have canned salmon, you can use that in a pinch. I’ve used canned, but once you go fresh, you’ll never go back (if you don’t have to)! I also dice my veggies really small so that they cook at the same time as the salmon once it’s in the pan. These babies are simple and just scrumptious. I hope you give them a try.
Salmon Croquettes - Southern Style
1 lb skinless salmon fillet, skin removed
¾ cup Ritz Crackers – crushed
½ medium onion, minced
½ medium bell pepper, minced
1 garlic clove, minced
½ stalk celery, minced
1/2 tsp lemon zest, plus lemon wedges for serving
Juice of ½ lemon, about 1 Tbsp
1 tsp dijon mustard
3/4 tsp Cajun or Old Bay seasoning
½ tsp sea salt
½ tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried dill
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- Using a sharp knife chop salmon to a very small, sausage like texture. Be sure to check for bones. You can also use a food processor, working in batches, in quick bursts to chop salmon.
- In a large mixing bowl stir together onion, bell pepper, celery, garlic, lemon zest, dijon mustard, Cajun or old bay seasoning, egg, salt, pepper, dried dill, salmon, and Ritz Crackers. Mix well.
- Using a spoon, form palm size croquettes.
- Melt 1 ½ Tbsp butter in a nonstick pan with 3 Tbsp olive oil on medium high heat.
- Add four salmon patties. Let fry until golden brown on the bottom, about 3 minutes. Carefully flip the croquette and cook until the second side is golden brown and the patties are cooked through, about 3 more minutes.
- Remove from pan and let drain on a plate lined with a paper towel.
- Add the remaining olive oil to the pan, if needed, and repeat the cooking process with the remaining croquettes.
- Serve warm with lemon wedges.